Out My Window
Male cardinals actively feed their chicks, often providing a significant portion of the food and sharing parental duties with the female.
Male Northern Cardinals play a crucial role in raising their young. Both parents participate in feeding the nestlings, with males sometimes feeding chicks up to 60% of the time as they grow older . Initially, the female may handle most of the feeding, especially during the first few days after hatching, while the male brings food to her at the nest . As the chicks age, the male increasingly feeds them directly, delivering insects, spiders, and larvae, which are rich in protein and essential for rapid growth
Feeding Mechanics
Male cardinals often use regurgitation to provide a nutrient-rich slurry to the chicks, especially for very young nestlings with delicate digestive systems . They may also crush larger insects to make them manageable for the chicks’ small beaks. Both parents typically feed the chicks multiple times per hour, with feeding intensity highest in the first days after hatching .
Duration and Post-Fledging Care
Cardinals continue to feed their young for several weeks after they leave the nest, teaching them to find food independently. Male cardinals may even take over full feeding duties once the fledglings leave the nest, allowing the female to start a new brood . This biparental care ensures the chicks receive adequate nutrition and protection during their most vulnerable stages.
Additional Roles of Male Cardinals
Beyond feeding, male cardinals support the female during incubation by bringing her food, a behavior known as courtship feeding, and they vigilantly guard the nesting territory from predators . This combination of feeding, protection, and teaching makes male cardinals highly dedicated and effective parents.
Above copied from information from the internet when searching "do male cardinals feed the babies?"
Happy Tuesday all. Ohio weather is rain, rain, and more rain. So far, we haven't had the flooding that some in Ohio has, and sad that there were even deaths involved. It shows rain for the next week and half too. It seems that the end of Summer is leaving the way it began with Rain!! I love Summer, but I even have to admit that I'm ready for Fall. If it hasn't been sweltering hot on days the sun shone, it is muggy and rainy. Prayers for all who are in the flooded areas even in the other states. Okay, guess that's the weather report. hahahahaha
Enjoyed watching these Cardinals out my window one day this week, and I assume it is one feeding a baby, but was confused because it was the male so I had to look it up.
Please share what you've been shooting on the link up below if you'd like or just say a hello in the comments. Always enjoy seeing visitors to my blog.
~hugs~
Peabea
No comments:
Post a Comment
Nothing better than a scribbled comment or just a Hello. I look forward to them all..~Have a great week~ Please note that since if I reply to your comment here, you won't know unless you keep traveling back, so I try to always visit anyone who comments and leave a comment on their blog plus I like visiting anyway and making new blog friends. Have a great scribbling day. :)